None of us want to spend more than we need to on automobile insurance. However, it isn’t always obvious how to get the lowest rates possible. Shop around for the best rates but don’t overlook the smaller companies you may not have heard as much about.
There are dozens and dozens of companies in the marketplace competing for your business. Each will offer many different policies making it even more difficult to see and understand if you are really comparing apples to apples.
- Do not ignore the smaller local and regional insurers. Often times these companies will have very high customer satisfaction ratings and lower rates as well.
- Do not assume any one particular company is cheaper. Bigger companies often spend lots of money to convenience you that their rates are the lowest. Truth is one company will never always be the cheapest for everyone. The only way to know is to shop around
- Ask about discounts. Many companies in today’s market offer a variety of discounts such a clean driver, smart driver, homeowners discount, marriage discount, pay in full discount, multi car discounts and many more. You will never know if you don’t ask.
- Pay your bills on time. This is one the average consumer is unaware of. Many companies are going to a soft credit rating. The higher your score the cheaper the insurance.
- Raise your deductible. For comprehensive and collision coverage the consumer chooses their deductible. The higher the deductible the cheaper the insurance. Call and ask your agent for your quote and compare the difference with different deductibles. You may be surprised at the money you could potentially save.
Just remember never assume because you are familiar with a company that they will be the cheapest. Do your homework, shop around and see just how much you can save.